The eyes are the windows to the soul.
Everything you do as far as your makeup is concerned is focused, directly or indirectly, around your eyes. Did you know that even the choice of your lipstick color can make your eyes pop out and look more youthful and attractive? The eye region is also the area where signs of aging first start to appear. So, in this guide, I will be covering some important tips to help you make your eyes look younger.
Tips to Make Your Eyes Look Younger
1. Keep Things As Natural As Possible
I always recommend you try and keep things as natural as possible, especially as you grow older. That means that your focus should be on a nude palette with lighter colors, which are as close to your skin tone as possible. The last thing you want to do is use loud, bright colors. Avoid using a foundation that gives a cakey look. Instead, go in for light coverage foundation and tinted moisturizer. These days, mousse foundation and lightweight mineral foundations are also available, which go on gently on the skin and help avoid a caked look.
2. Treat Dark Circles
Dark circles give you an unsightly raccoon-like look, which can instantly age you by decades. They also make you look sick or as if you have not been sleeping or you lack vitality. Sometimes though, people are just genetically predisposed to dark circles. If that is the case, you must use a concealer under the eyes. Select a concealer having yellow undertones which are excellent for covering up the dark circles. A poor diet can also give rise to dark circles. So make sure you pile up on fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Also drink plenty of water and get daily exercise. These are some surefire ways to banish dark circles. You can also apply grated potato juice to the dark circles because the starch in them helps lighten darkened skin.
3. Combat Puffy Eyes
Puffy eyes result from dehydration, eating sodium rich foods or lack of sleep. So drink tons of water and avoid alcoholic beverages. If you are partying, try to alternate each glass of alcohol with a glass of water. This will keep the alcohol level diluted. If, despite this, you get puffy eyes, you can use the following home remedies:
- Apply thinly sliced potato or cucumber slices on the eyes for 20 minutes.
- Apply chilled teaspoons (place the spoons in the freezer for 20 minutes) directly on the eyes for 10-15 minutes.
- Apply tea bags on the eyes for 10 minutes.
These remedies relax the blood vessels under the eyes to reduce swelling and puffiness.
4. Use An Under-The-Eye Serum Before Bedtime
Many eye creams are available in the market these days which can help re-texturize the skin and correct wrinkles. The Divas Never Age®-Hyaluronic Acid Serum contains a powerful blend of antioxidants that can correct wrinkles and make your eyes look younger. With regular use you can see dramatic improvement in the under eye region and take away years off your face.
5. Get Help
In some cases, you might need some external help in the form of dermal fillers. The most popular dermal skin filler is Botox, which is known to fill in lost elasticity and uplift sagging skin around the eyes. Always choose a Board Certified Dermatologist or a cosmetic surgeon while getting such treatments.
6. Makeup Tips to Make the Eyes Look Younger
Here are some makeup tips to help your eyes pop out, look bigger and younger:
- Use dark brown or charcoal color liner. Women with green eyes can use colors like plum, purple, brow-pink, to make the eyes look greener. So go for deep purple, dark brown and charcoal for eye liners. If you have brown eyes, use golden brown, grey, plum or slate blue. Avoid light colored liner and go for deep and darker colors like dark navy, dark metal grey, etc.
- Use a mascara to make your eyes bolder.
- Use an eyelash comb to separate lashes and remove clumps.
- Stay away from shimmers and glittery eye shadows as they enhance wrinkles and lines and emphasize the creases around the eyes.
- Always use matte eye shadows instead of shimmer since they help reduce puffiness and appearance of wrinkles around the eyes.
- Blend the eye shadow really well by holding up the skin underneath the brow bone and blending the neutral base color over the eyelid.
- The eye liner should be thick enough to be visible or else the entire purpose of defining and lifting the eyes is defeated.
Remember: the aim of eye makeup as you age is to lift the eyes upwards and outwards.
7.Do Not Overlook The Eyebrows
As we grow older, our eyebrows start losing hair and becoming thinner. To avoid this, use an eyebrow brush to comb out the hair and regularly massage some castor oil in the eyebrows to make them grow thicker. You can also brush some matching brow powder starting from the arch of the brow, followed by the outer edge and inner edge. Avoid using black on your eyebrows because it is too severe and can make you look older. Even if you have dark hair, go for a darker shade of brown instead of black. If you have very light or non-existent brows, then go for crème brow color which provides the greatest coverage.
8.Have Fun While Avoiding Wrinkles
Wrinkles and creases around the eyes are a normal part of the aging process. But, with the right approach and attitude, they can be greatly reduced. Make sure you cover up your eyes with polarized sunglasses when outdoors in order to protect them from the harsh UV rays of the sun. Be gentle when touching the eyes. Always rinse your eyes with cool water and avoid staring at a computer screen for hours together. If your work demands this, then make sure to do some simple eye exercises every 20 minutes or so, and take frequent breaks to rest the eyes.
Use the above steps and tips to make your eyes look younger. Do not forget to drink plenty of water, eat an anti-oxidant rich diet and use Divas Never Age®-Hyaluronic Acid Serum day and night to start seeing fewer creases and lines around the eyes.
To know more beauty secrets and Diva tips, grab a copy of my book Divas Never Age®-“Divas Are Beautiful”-Book 1.
Be happy, be beautiful, be a Diva!